Aftershaves have come along way since the first bottle of Aqua Velva hit the old apothecary designed to be an antiseptic alcohol rub to prevent infections from the many cuts you would have received using your trusty switchblade razor and to prevent skin irritation. Back then it would smell like alcohol and in some cases drinkable. Today we have “balms” that are low fragrance and certainly less irritating.
Now aftershaves can have other properties, such as moisturizers and scents and essential oils. It can all be a bit confusing. What happened to the good old days when ads made you feel like less of man if you bought the competition’s product or women would find you less irresistible.
Aftershave today is about you more than it is your partner or potential partner… when you’re out on the thrash, BUT it has to be about everyone. Today’s products make this easier. Gone are the days when a splash of Kouros or Menage A Trois would not only sting your face, but also your eyes and people could smell you from one end of the disco floor to the other. It’s about subtlety and how it actually makes you feel. You want your partner or those around you enjoy your smell and not made to feel like you’re trying to mask your odour after a 16 hour cab driving shift.
Here’s a few aftershaves that are planet and people friendly.
NIVEA Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm – $20
Soothes and Moisturizes Skin After Shaving .
- This moisturizing after shave balm soothes skin from shaving irritations and improves skin’s condition over time
- Skin looks healthy and cared for while feeling comfortable and smooth
- Formulated with no drying alcohol and light fragrances
- Enriched with Vitamin E and natural, soothing Chamomile and Witch Hazel extracts
- Skin compatibility dermatologically tested by men with sensitive skin
Billy Jealousy Shaved Ice After-Shave Balm – $25
Cool down with an Ultra Cool After-Shave Balm to leaves skin hydrated, smooth & comfortable for that perfect freshly shaved feeling. A unique combination of skin-cooling ingredients that provide long-lasting soothing effects
This has a paraben free formula that promotes skin healing and restores pH balance & provides the perfect soothing sensation.
Musgo Real After Shave Balm – $55
This rapidly-absorbed balsam has its formula enriched with almond and jojoba oils that helps calm the skin after shaving. It also has shea butter in it, which helps to protect and smooth the skin.
This woody oriental fragrance is a resolutely masculine scent. It blends the spicy notes of sandalwood and patchouli with the warmth of vanilla. Top Notes: Ylang-ylang and vetiver Heart Notes: Musk, patchouli and sandalwood Base Notes: Amber, vanilla and tonka
Polo Black is a Sophisticated, Sensual and Mysterious alcohol based aftershave. More of a woody aromatic fragrance.
• Iced Mango accord, Mandarin oil, Lemon oil, Cardamom accord (top notes)
• Ozone accord, Jasmine accord, Silver Armoise oil (middle notes)
• Moss accord, Tonka Bean absolute, Patchouli Noir oil, Cedar wood accord (base notes)
Aqua Velva Mens After Shave – $9
If you’re a lover of the classics… they are still here
- Aqua Velva, known as America’s first after shave and has been helping soothe, cool and refresh men’s skin since 1917
- A Classic American Fragrance
- Firms and Tons while cooling sensation refreshes skin. Completes a Clean Shave
- Made in the USA
- Apply a little on the shaved areas of the face and rub in mildly
Nautica Voyage By Nautica For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray – $15
- Launched by the design house of nautica
- This is masculine fragrance
- A blend of apple, cedarwood, musk, amber, waterlotus, greenleaf and mimosa notes
- It is recommended for casual wear
- It is long lasting fragrance
- Increase attraction… GET IN!